September 7th 1912: The townspeople of Athenry were pleased to know waterworks and sewerage scheme passed. Three police had contracted Typhoid which had been allegedly due to the bad sanitary conditions of Athenry barracks.
A statement was brought out that the three men contracted it when they jumped into a pond of water and one man could not get a bed in Galway.
February 8th 1913: The following works were to be carried out after the Loughrea District Council invited tenders for the following; construction of a service resovoir,and pump house; providing and laying cast iron pipes; hydrants; engine pumps; and other works according to plans and specifications prepared by Mr. F. Bergin, B. E., 36 Moorland street, Dublin.
March 1st 1913: A clerk of works was set up for Athenry waterworks was set up which consisted of the following members; Very Rev. Cannon Canton; Rev. R. P. Roe, Rev. Burkitt, R. P Nolan Galway Co. Co., P. McDonagh, D. C., Thomas Ruane and J. T. Kelly were appointed to consider all questions connected with waterworks or sewage in Athenry and to report it to the council.
August 1st 1914: A secretary position for the Athenry Waterworks at a salary of £6 a year was advertised. The duties of the person who will be appointed were to conduct correspondence; on behalf the committee and council, keep minutes, and carry out all order of the committee appertaining to the office.
The postage and and other out of pocket expenses will be allowed, and stationary supplied by the council.
August 10th 1918: Athenry waterworks committee invite instructions to the payment of water rent by the military at Athenry. Mr. McDonagh said the committee thought 30 shillings per month would be a reasonable sum. There were 300 and 400 soldiers in Athenry who were getting their supply of water daily from the Swangate fountain.
Source: Connacht Tribune 1912-1918